Tuesday, February 1, 2011

Movie Production Cartels in Ghana and Nigeria

Movie producers in the 2 countries are trying to regulate the movie industry. As part of the plan, they want to control and moderate the number of actors from each country who feature in the flicks produced in the other. They have formed cartels, and they blacklist and ban any producer or actor who flouts their guidelines. These guidelines include getting a permit of a sort to work on movie sets in the other country. I’m not talking about the legal requirement of a work permit – the producers have their own additional permit. It is protectionism, right? But the producers in either country support it wholly, and even collaborate to enforce these restrictions. I guess if an actor is banned in both countries, they can move to Uganda.

8 comments:

  1. Yay... Uganda here I come. Or even to South Africa.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Isn't this pure balderdash? Oh god. Uganda hehehehe

    ReplyDelete
  3. Or better yet. Learn french and move to Togo. lol!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kwame Mensa-Bonsu02 February, 2011

    Have they thought about making rules ensuring that they improve their own levels of performance and those of their film writers? Doubt it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. @ Nana Fredua-Agyeman:

    Yes, or even RSA.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @ Nane Yaw Sarpong:

    Balderdash? Are you referring to the protectionism? Hmm, I do not know what I think yet. I believe in free markets, but I believe certain areas of the economy must be strategically protected by every government for its people. I just don't know if our movie industry is so critical in the overall scheme of things for us to get into all manner of tangles for.

    ReplyDelete
  7. @ Enyonam:

    Lol. Only I reckon that the moment there is an influx of a particular country's actors into Togo, they will create a similar cartel in Togo (if they do not already have one).

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Kwame Mensa-Bonsu:

    They will tell you it is a chicken-and-egg situation. They need the protective reprieve to develop step by step and make the money to improve standards with. I do not know if I believe any of that or if I consider is sophistry.

    ReplyDelete

After writing your comment, please select the Name/URL box below, and write your name in the box, before submitting your comment.