Saturday, May 24, 2008

Standing Pretty in the Streets

Her incredibly increasing curves strut and swing my way. I demurely deflect my glimpse, for she’s clearly caught on to the fact that I’m madly amazed at her fluid flexure. Gliding gleefully towards me, she showers one last ridiculously showy sashay, and comes to a rehearsed stop at my window. She asks, “Will you buy?”

She wears her skin leathery and sable from strutting her stuff and selling her fruit (mutual advertising, no?) in the searing African sun.

The gluey situation only lasts a trice, and then the traffic passes on. With devilish doubt, I ask my Self whether I would genuinely judge her pretty, or any prettier, if she weren’t drudging and moiling daily on the streets.

9 comments:

  1. I see nobody wants to deal with this one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Anonymous28 May, 2008

    What used to be dependably discreet is now in the open.Is that what dynamism can do to our 'sisters'?.

    She'll get someone to patronise her fruits if not the whole tree.That is the definition of attractiveness to the 'brothers'.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That's so funny, was going to check who had commented...and its you! Patience my friend, people are probably still thinking it over. Good piece. I agree with your wonderings, I am sure you'd find her prettier in a different setting. That's the sad way of life.

    ReplyDelete
  4. i wonder what fruit she sold. perhaps its the fruit that makes men immortal or poisons them instantly. thank God for the traffik lights went green

    ReplyDelete
  5. I honestly meant she was selling just her fruits and trying to use her body to advertise. Nothing bad, really. i meant no double entendres.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous29 May, 2008

    There is one who sells MTN unit cards at the Akuafo Intersection. She is well "gifted" in all aspects and she advertises the unit cards with her "gifts". I always look out for her not to buy but just to behold. Better than being accosted by a beggarly able-bodied man pretending to be physically challenged.

    ReplyDelete
  7. So what pray tell was your answer to Self? Am curious.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Kiz, I will be looking out for that one. But how would I recognise her if she decided to sell bubble gum instead, tomorrow? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Denise, at first I almost told a lie to Self, but I reminded myself that the reason I had even written at all was because I noticed her. So my Self answered that she was pretty no matter where she stood.

    Plus, I was blessed to form my idea of beauty long before the MEDIA had the chance to influence me.

    ReplyDelete

After writing your comment, please select the Name/URL box below, and write your name in the box, before submitting your comment.