Thursday, May 9, 2013

How the Military Assaulted, Non-Assaulted, then Un-Assaulted a Journo

When you blow a cloud of dust on my face, or spill a cup of water down my back, tickle my pits, dribble your forefinger down my cheek, or trickle melted chocolate on my chest while I’m asleep, without my consent, you have assaulted me in law. So when videos went viral of Ghanaian G.I.s (hyperbole alert!) choke-holding, hammer-locking, strong-shoving and face-tossing a pussycat journo on Independence Day, I joined to shout the ‘shame’ refrain. And when the military opened Ostrich investigations, called as many as zero witnesses and played possum with the raw, stripped, naked truth, I dog-pissed on their decency. What did they go and do? They went to say sorry. I accept; I hope the victim does too.

5 comments:

  1. You've got me laughing about a serious issue.

    Typical Ghanaian way of handling things. I would have been surprised if they had done anything different

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Right, typical. They did the right thing at the end, though. Of course, I am positive they were driven to an apology after the public outcry and ridicule.

      Delete
  2. Btw your writing is so crisp and eloquent... and dare I say i spot epigrams!
    On the issue though.. this happened??? And mere utterance of I'm sorry is the right thing? I mean it's the right thing, it's just not enough... it's only the beginning / tip of a sincere apology. I'm not advocating for bearing grudges, but the "I'm sorry" sounds rather unsatisfactory...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it happened. As admitted, I exaggerated their actions a bit. But the assault happened. The investigations happened without the involvement of the victim. Many laughable defences and interviews in radio followed...

      Delete
  3. Not sure of the Nigerian military would even bother with an apology...I guess the madness is not limited to Nigeria alone.

    ReplyDelete

After writing your comment, please select the Name/URL box below, and write your name in the box, before submitting your comment.